Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Place in the Sun - 2nd Anniversary

It's two years to the date that we flew down to Puerto Vallarta on a condo-buying mission. We were excited and nervous - buying foreign real estate is a big deal, especially in Mexico. But we had a terrific lead on a reasonably-priced one bedroom condo, on the top floor of a six-plex, with not a bad ocean view (3 blocks back from the beach and up a hill).

In April 2008, things were looking pretty rosy. My executive coaching and leadership consulting business was thriving (I had launched my own business in 2002, following a 20 year career in the BC government); John had retired in 2006 (after 35 years in government), and we were busy starting a 1,200 square foot addition onto our cottage. Now, here we were in Mexico, about to realize my dream of "a place in the sun" where we'd spend our future winters.

We made the condo deal...and things have done nothing but unravel since then. In the past two years:

- my elderly and difficult-as-hell mother fell and badly broke her shoulder in May 2008;

- our Victoria condo had to undergo "remediation" and we were hit with a $120,000.00 bill for our unit's share of the total cost in August 2008;

- by September/October 2008 global financial/economic meltdown occurred, destroying much of our savings;

- with the stroke of a pen, the BC government pretty much destroyed my livelihood when they banned all contracting for "training and development" and "professional services" the fall of 2008, which were my major sources of business. One and a half years later, this ban still continues and is expected to last a long time.

- January 2009 my mother had a stroke and was permanently hospitalized; I had to take over all her affairs and deal with her medical situation (I have one sibling but she lives 3,000 kms away and really couldn't help, although that didn't stop her from having views and opinions on my efforts).

- Spring 2009 I turned 50 and menopause symptoms hit me big time, negatively affecting me on so many levels physically and mentally. Suffice it to say I understand how sleep deprivation is considered a form of torture.

- Summer 2009 my sister (let's call her "Gigi") and I had a major falling out over issues to do with my mother and future financial planning. We are now estranged.

- January 2010 my mother mysteriously set herself on fire in the middle of the night in a nursing home. She suffered critical injuries that were not survivable. I was in Mexico and had to approve removal of life support with the ICU doctor via Skype. Totally surreal.

- April 2010: a freak sewer back-up into our Victoria condo caused a flood and serious damage throughout our suite. That is what we're going home to on April 15th.

But, for today, the sun is shining, the palms are waving in the breeze, and we are headed to the beach.

Todo bien.

No comments:

Post a Comment