Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hard Truth in a Chinese Fortune Cookie

Last evening I had a craving for Chinese food. This hardly ever happens as it's about my least favourite cuisine, whereas it is my husband's No. 1 favourite. So, of course I told him about my craving expecting he'd be delighted. Well, it turns out he's been "off" Chinese food for a while now (feels there's too much MSG/other glutamates and things that make him feel stuffed up). But, since the hotel we're staying at (while our condo is being repaired from a freak sewer back-up) is just two blocks away from China Town, we wandered over.

We were hoping to find a smorgasbord option - we both like quite different dishes, so sharing doesn't work well when it's just the two of us. A buffet would be the best of all worlds. Alas, not only was there no buffet option, most of China Town's restaurants are closed for dinner. After crossing back and forth across the main street several times comparing the menus of the few open restaurants, the very cold wind drove us into one place.

Dinner was okay - nothing great about it, nothing terrible about it. They didn't serve anything I was craving (specifically ginger fried beef and curry fried tofu and broccoli). What made the evening stunningly memorable was my fortune cookie.

I found two fortunes inside my cookie. One was the usual sort of thing we've all come to expect: "You will live a long, prosperous life." How many times have you or your dining companions gotten that one? It deserves a Seinfeld-esque reaction of "Yadda, yadda, yadda." WHATever.

The second one made me first gasp and then burst out laughing. It said "You constantly struggle for self improvement - and it shows." I howled at the (likely unintended?) double entendre. What exactly shows? The struggle? Or the self improvement? Too, too funny.

I admit I do struggle in the pursuit of self improvement. Hell, I've made a business and career out of self improvement (i.e., coaching) and at times that's been a struggle. But what is it that I want to showcase...certainly NOT the struggle! What I want to showcase, for myself and others, are the results of the struggle.

I can't remember the last time a fortune cookie made me stop and think - if ever. I thank the food craving that came out of nowhere and brought me such a thought provoking message, one that will hopefully help me in my "constant struggle"!

Todo bien. (It's all good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment