Saturday, October 2, 2010

But Who's Counting?

By my best calculations, I have had about 130 to 150 people visit my blog since installing a stat counter in late June 2010 (thanks to my techno-adept pal Duffy).

I started my stat counter at 25 and, once I have accounted for my own "count" from posting/editing (i.e., every time I post or log on, the count ratchets up), I can estimate the site visitors.

It makes me wonder who is visiting; no one leaves any comments. I know I have two friends who read my posts here but, beyond that, it's a total mystery. These two can't possibly account for the 130-150 actual "visits" to date. They are good friends, but no one's that good!

On the off chance that anyone reading this knows comedian/pundit Bill Maher, can you tell him I love his HBO show "Real Time with Bill Maher" and that I have a goal to be on the show one day? Thanks.

I used to want to be on "Oprah" (for something groundbreakingly worthy, NOT for experiencing/overcoming a tragedy), but that time horizon and my focus has changed; now my goal is to be guest-worthy for "Real Time."

Bill Maher is smart, hilarious, and effectively engages diverse, well-informed people in real conversations about serious issues. That is what I'd like to be a part of. Just need to figure out my angle and what would make for being a compelling guest panelist (I'm not yet aspiring to be the show-opener interviewee, or the anchor panelist who joins the show near closing).

I really enjoy Cornell West's appearances on "Real Time." On the October 1st show he referenced humans essentially falling into two categories, saying we can choose to be "wounded hurters or wounded helpers." This remark was glossed over and lost in the subsequent conversation, but I felt it was profound. It acknowledges that absolutely everyone is dealing with wounds of some sort, be they psychological, physical, or both...and each of us chooses what to do as a result of our wounds.

Too bad so many people these days seems to be choosing "wounded hurter" over being a "wounded helper." I'm definitely in the wounded helper category, and perpetually seeking ways to make that experience meaningful - for myself, and for the benefit of others. Now I just need to figure out how to match that agenda up with the goal of getting on Bill's show.

Todo bien. (It's all good.)

4 comments:

  1. OMG, Lisa - this is too funny. I rarely ever check your blog here because, as you know, I can read it elsewhere. And yet for no apparent reason I clicked on your Google blog today, only two read a blog you hadn't transferred to VN - and to see myself mentioned in it. O_O <--- (shocked eyeballs)

    So here's my comment: 1) I really enjoyed reading this blog, and 2) I just made your stats go up. (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Okay, I accidentally just re-accessed your blog, so I count as 2 people today. I am now shaking my head at myself. And then on the other hand, as a friend of mine often says, "Todo bien".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - typos galore in the previous 2 statements. I'm quitting after this one, no matter how many typos may be in it. (I'm trying to figure out why my name in the first comment had the exclamation mark after it, and why after I removed that and made sure the first letter was capitalized, it still isn't. Life is just a weird mystery.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't generally post comments anywhere, but am making an exception here or maybe am venturing off into new unchartered territory for me. I have been a fan for a little while and identify with many things you have written in your blogs (VN), especially one from last July (Inheritances Can Be "Kryptonite" . . .). I identify as a fellow "wounded helper," who as the oldest daughter/forced caretaker of many people in many ways my immediate family, I still struggle with how to genuinely care and support others without unfairly overburdening myself or assuming responsibilities that really are not my own. It's not easy to always know where that line lies. Of course there are differences in the details of our respective life circumstances, but I have never read anything anywhere that so closely replicated some of my own experiences and feelings. And your professional bent makes me very happy as it is my own professional life and education that gave me a measure of freedom that other people just did not. Anyway, all good wishes to you and for your quest to chat with Bill Maher! A very worthy and fun goal and one I think you can achieve. That would be great and I would love to watch the show when it airs:-)

    ReplyDelete