Thursday, November 4, 2010

Behind The Door


This is the new front door at our cottage. We have been working on this major addition and new front entryway for about three years. Like everything in life, progress is significantly dictated by time and money. Getting and installing the front door was a big step forward in the direction of completion.

The front door is custom, and quite impressive - bigger than average and solid wood with some nice hardware accents. John, my husband, was adamant he was having a "speakeasy", which is that little grate and small section that opens so you can look out and ask "Who's there?" before you open the door. Our good friend who helped John install it calls it the "Viking door" because he thought it made such a strong architectural statement (and probably also because he thinks John's such a bold guy who is hardly ever daunted, which is true!).

But, for now, there is nothing behind that fine looking door. The addition is still an empty shell of stud walls and plywood floors. It is an unfinished work-in-progress. You can open and walk through the door, but the future beyond the door sill is yet to be created.

That door is the perfect metaphor for where I am in my life. I've created a lot of fine looking and impressive exterior stuff but, at this time, there isn't much behind the door.

What I mean is that my future is waiting to be designed and brought into being. Just like we are facing a ton of choices and decisions around finishing that interior space (e.g., plumbing, electrical, drywall, lighting, flooring, millwork, paint colours, window coverings etc.) I have to make a lot of choices/decisions that will generate the final look of my future. There are many doors I can open and walk through.

What I want to ensure is that I love, feel comfortable, and can really thrive in the inside space that lies beyond the fabulous doorway.

Todo bien. (It's all good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment