Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Adios, 2010!

I am getting excited about ringing in 2011, and not just because we'll be celebrating in Mexico with visiting friends P. & D. I am actually most happy about seeing 2010 from the rear view mirror.

There have been some wonderful things about 2010; I'm not discounting the high points and meaningful moments by any means. The high points, though, were mostly centrepieces in the lives of others that we celebrated from the periphery (no matter how wholeheartedly, we were more sideline witnesses than direct participants in the good stuff). But the 2010 good stuff that happened in the lives of the people we love comprises a list that should not be ignored:

- 2 healthy births;
- a romantic and celebrated engagement;
- positive and much deserved career advancement/career changes;
- world travels; and,
- visits/good times spent with friends and family.

The not-so-great stuff for us that I want to vigorously wave "bye bye" to includes:

- death;
- flooding;
- health issues;
- family estrangement; and,
- underemployment/economic challenges.

I'm willing to bet my lists would look similar to many other peoples'.

If I were to sum up my 2010 in one sentence, I'd say "My weight is down and my hopes are up." By "weight" I mean both the burdens I've been carrying that have weighed heavily, and my actual physical weight. Although I can't be sure of my exact weight loss (because I was living in a hotel without a scale at the time my weight started to shift), I think it's in the range of 14 pounds, maybe even more. I still need to lose another 8-10 pounds, and then keep it all off.

As to the psychological "weight", I hope to lay most of that down in 2011 with finalizing everything to do with my mother's estate. I am about 95% done with all that work. When it's finished, there will be no more need for any further interactions with my sole, distant sibling, who appears quite satisfied with her financial gains with nary a concern about the loss of her relationship with me. And I have to say I'm quite fine with letting that veneer of a relationship go. We haven't communicated (except about our mother's situation and estate) for about a year and a half; quite honestly, I don't miss her. And I would expect she'd say the same about me. We are who we are - neither of us is going to change to the extent that would be required to accommodate the needs and expectations of the other.

As to my hopes being up, well, 2011 holds a lot of promise. This is the year that will see us complete the addition at our cottage (it will have been a four year effort), and I have some interesting business prospects on the horizon.



Whereas 2010 was a lot about "unravelling", I hope 2011 will be more about a coming together of many pieces of my personal puzzle.

Todo bien. (It's all good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment