Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Winter Wonder

Judging from the few family photos that were taken in my very early years, you'd think I grew up wearing a snowsuit. There I am, stiffly bundled from head to toe, and standing in a snowy yard - positioned either on wooden skis, or next to a snowman, or on skis and next to a snowman.

Because I grew up in eastern Canada, for the longest time I thought I was one of those people who likes experiencing the four distinct seasons. I have slowly come to the realization I am not one of those people after all. I am actually a one-season-person, and that season is summer.

I moved to the west coast of Canada at 17 when my father retired from the Navy, and have lived here ever since. But I have never gotten used to the long, dreary, rainy winters...day after day of grey skies, and weeks on end with hardly a glimpse of the sun. Our cold rainy winter is preceded by a cool, rainy fall, and followed by a cool rainy spring. Sometimes we have temperate rainy summers! I don't have an actual diagnosis of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), but I bet I am close to it.

I take rain as a personal insult. Silly, I know, but I really dislike it. I know it's essential and the planet can't do without it, but we just get more than our fair share in this neck of the woods. At least we don't have to shovel rain; I am thankful for that aspect.

Victoria ground to a halt yesterday because it snowed a few inches. The city and its inhabitants are always caught off guard when this occurs because it is a rare event. A cold and snowy winter is in the forecast, and it has started early.



I can't wait to escape to Mexico from "The Great White North." It's freezing cold today (see photo of the downtown frozen fountain), but the snow has stopped and the sun is shining. I used to think I could take the cold if it was sunny. Nope. Cold and rainy is the worst. Cold and sunny is a step up, but still not acceptable.

I have officially become a "winter wussy".

Todo bien. (It's all good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment