Sunday, November 21, 2010

Light My (Reading) Fire!

I am so excited; I just got a Kindle (a digital book reader)! Once I learn how to use it, it is going to make my reading life so much easier and simpler, especially when travelling. No longer will I have to devote so much suitcase space and weight to books! I am a really fast reader and can easily devour a substantial book in a day or two, when I am focused.

The Kindle also solves the problem of shelf and storage space for books, which is kind of good and bad at the same time. I do like the look and feel of books on shelves. Funny (and rather sad) to think I probably won't be adding any more books to my bookshelves.

I am probably going to start downloading digital books to my Kindle today. I drew a big blank when I first thought about what I want to read this winter while we are down south. It's the same blank mind experience I have when thinking about what music I might want to download from iTunes! In those instances, it seems I can't remember a single song title.

I solved my book shopping dilemma by spending some time at a Chapters store location yesterday. I cruised all my favourite sections with my BlackBerry in hand and just e-mailed myself a list of book titles and authors to come home and download.

I felt a little guilty doing my window shopping at Chapters, as I will be purchasing and downloading to my Kindle from Amazon. I attracted a bit of attention from the Chapters' clerks, and was approached several times and asked if I needed assistance. I just said I was just putting a Christmas reading wish list together, which was kind of true - but allowed them to think I might actually be giving Chapters my business. I didn't buy the Chapters "Kobo" digital book reader because it doesn't have a highlighting function and, when I read (especially business and leadership books) I have a highlighting compulsion.

I know I am going to miss the feel and smell of having a real book in my hands - but the sheer convenience of the Kindle outweighs any of my nostalgic leanings. It is just a very cool little device, and even techno-dunce moi is happy to have made this switch.

Todo bien. (It's all good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment