Friday, November 26, 2010

The Gall

Despite having an ultrasound test that showed nothing back in June, I am convinced I have gall bladder trouble.

I've had 5 "attacks" since late February 2010, and they are becoming more frequent and severe. I spent about 12 hours in agony yesterday, so am headed back to see the doctor next week.

So far, I've been really lucky that the debilitating attacks have hit me at times that didn't interfere with anything else going on in my work or life; I was able to spend a few uninterrupted hours huddled on the bathroom floor groaning. Heaven forbid one should hit when I am supposed to be getting on a plane, or spending a day leading a group workshop.

I can see no pattern or trigger for the attacks. They happen at differing hours of the day or night, and there doesn't seem to be a direct relation to having a full or empty stomach, or some particular food trigger. If I knew what was causing the attacks, maybe I could avoid it. I eliminated alcohol over 5 months ago, have been eating healthier, exercising more, and have lost over 14 pounds, but the attacks are still happening, and more frequently.

My internet research shows there is a hereditary aspect, and I do recall my father has his gall bladder removed in his early 50's. I don't really want to have to undergo surgery, and read that there is quite a high chance of ongoing problems post-surgery (from the symptoms continuing even after removal, to issues such as "bile dumping" which sounds pretty unappealing). But I can't see living the next 30 years coping with this unpredictable pain and incapacity during attacks.

I'm concerned that it's proving difficult to get this diagnosed. Again, all my symptoms (midsection pain and pressure under my ribs, especially down the right side, pain that can radiate through to my back, and vomiting) seem to best fit with gall bladder problems, but why didn't the ultrasound show anything? I don't have gall stones, but maybe that's all the ultrasound can definitively check for?

I don't deal well with illness or feeling sick, so this is causing me real consternation. I don't know what's happening or why, and what it's going to take to get this fixed. Hopefully I'll be okay this winter and won't have to experience the Mexican health care/hospital system (although I have heard good things). But, I'd rather get this dealt with where I can speak the language.

I think I will go lie down now!

Todo bien. (It's all good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment