Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Powerful Semantics

As a professional coach, I have learned how to correctly state a goal to exponentially increase your chances of achieving it. The mistake most people make is expressing a goal in terms of they DON'T want, which focuses them on the wrong thing (trying to avoid what you don't want simply guarantees you will focus on and attract more of it!).

I am steeped in the belief that you must have a clear, relentless, positive focus on what it is you DO want. For example, rather than focus on "losing weight" you must focus on "being fit, healthy and attractive."

I am backed on this theory by people such as Mother Theresa, who apparently refused to attend "anti" rallies - be they anti-poverty or anti-war etc. But she said she supported rallies that were FOR things, such as Walk for Peace, or Rally for Prosperity. She knew if you focus on war or poverty (even in the "anti"-sense), you simply generate more of it. Look at where the "War on Drugs", the "War on Terror" and the "War on Cancer" have gotten us: n-o-w-h-e-r-e. We have more drug problems, more terror problems and more cancer problems than ever. And if I had my way, all the phraseology around "breast cancer" would be changed. Rather than the annual "walk for breast cancer" I would have the "Walk for Breast Health." And there would be no "Breast Cancer Centers" only "Breast Health Centers."

I was pleased to read that even Google has finally seen the light. I was shocked when I first heard their company motto "Don't Be Evil." Based on my beliefs, that was a guarantee they would indeed be, or become, evil. I am currently reading "Googled: The End of the World as We Know It" by Ken Auletta, and he writes that, at a recent Global Philanthropy Forum, Google co-founder Sergey Brin "declared that 'don't be evil' serves as a reminder to our employees, but it was a mistake. It should really say, 'Be good.'" And, from what I am reading about the power and influence of Google, we really do need them to stay focused on being good.

Todo bien. (It's all good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment