Monday, December 20, 2010

The Hideout

Day 10 of our tropical winter escape has begun - another cloudless, azure sky overhead and a silvery glistening bay that stretches as far as we can see. I have my favourite cup of Mexican-style coffee in hand (brewed laced with "Cafe de Olla" - a mix of coffee, sugar, cinnamon, chocolate, anise and some other spices). Goes great with palm trees and sunshine.

Our little hideout is one of the top floor units in a modest little building (located in a great neighbourhood...I watch enough "House Hunters International" to know the importance of "location, location, location"!).


Some people are down here for the holidays with their families, some are down here to escape from their families, some would choose to be with family if they could swing it...but things like divorce, death, money issues, neglect, estrangement, and the like, all take their toll in our lives; these circumstances just come into sharper focus because of the time of year with its over-emphasis on togetherness. In our case, we're not avoiding anything or disappointing anyone, so can celebrate the season with a clear conscience.

But regardless of my clear conscience, my subconscious is apparently feeling the absence of family this season! Last night I had a vivid dream that I was contacted by a couple of lawyers from two different families who were each convinced I was a long lost relation (adopted out at birth?) and they wanted to connect with me, have DNA tests etc. I woke up before I found out where, in that dream, I might really hail from. In reality, there is no doubt I was never adopted - that was wishful dreaming.

Joining the "Club Albatros" worked out, and we've begun a daily cardio & weights routine at this lovely fitness facility-cum-country club. Other folks have started to arrive and take up residence in the other units at our hideout (#1), so it will be nice to have somewhere else nearby to go (hideout #2) should it get crowded around our little courtyard and pool.

It's time to hit the gym!

Todo bien. (It's all good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment