Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Shallow Thoughts

We're over two weeks in to our winter sojourn, and the time is approaching where I need to write more than just blog posts. I have set a goal to write at least a draft outline of a novel this winter, and it isn't going to write itself! I am going to have to get serious, and soon.

Daily blogging is good for getting into the habit of regularly writing, but it's like wading in the shallows near the shoreline, versus the type of deep sea diving that a book would require.

Actually, writing a book would be more like "free diving" where you really plumb the depths, going straight down with no equipment on and just the supply of oxygen in your lungs. S.C.A.R.Y. Yet people do it.

To use the free diving analogy, I'm on the boat, the tropical water looks warm and inviting, I think I'm prepared enough to try, and I have help standing by if I run into trouble. So why am I not in the water yet? I guess it's the difference between thinking I can do it, and believing I can do it.

Since I can't force belief, I will engage the "willing suspension of disbelief" and focus on banishing thoughts that I can't do it.

Todo bien. (It's all good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment