Sunday, December 26, 2010

Thank You Bethany Frankel

When my husband is up at the cottage, and I am working in the city, I tend to occasionally watch extreme-trash TV. I have not fallen to the low of watching "Jersey Shore" (I find that crowd and their behaviour beyond revolting), but I have stooped to "The Real Housewives..." franchise - mostly the Orange County crop and the New York clique.

I learned one thing of value watching those shows. Bethany Frankel gave a recipe for a "Skinny Girl Margarita" and I unconsciously tucked the information away.

I used to enjoy a margarita on the beach in Mexico, but since the advent of midlife weight gain and menopausal blood sugar issues, margaritas have been "off the menu" as the drink mix is pure sugar, and alcohol metabolizes to sugar as well. I try to restrict my sugar to 15-20 grams per day, and one margarita has around 40 grams of sugar. Knowing this has completely destroyed any potential enjoyment as sipping one would feel`like drinking a slow-acting poison.

Yesterday we walked the beach for a couple of hours and wound up at our favourite beach bar, "Mar y Sol" and, darn it, I felt like a drink to celebrate! But what to have? Out of nowhere, I remembered Bethany on "The Real Housewives of New York" at a bar ordering a shot of tequila, sparkling mineral watch, ice and cut limes, and throwing these all together for a lower glycemic margarita-style drink. I tried it and it was great! Refreshing, not cloying. Even John thinks he will switch to this in the future.

Muchos gracias, Bethany Frankel, for helping me to celebrate with much less sugar and less guilt. Today, though, I climb back on the wagon.

Todo bien. (It's all good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment