Monday, August 9, 2010

The Cost of a "Free" Lunch

"Hell Week" is over. We are moved back into our condo after four months of flood repairs and living in a hotel.

It was painful - two trips in our Ford truck to move out of the hotel and get all our accumulated stuff (from some kitchen necessities, to clothes/shoes, and toiletries, to my makeshift office) back to our condo. Then the big moving truck arrived bringing back our entire household that has been in storage.

The kitchen cabinets were installed on day 2 of the move back in, and the colour match is satisfactory. Of course, they forgot some hinges and parts so couldn't install everything, and will be coming back this week to finish the job.

The built-in dishwasher (which has already been adjusted four times) requires a fifth adjustment; it currently doesn't drain on completion of the entire cycle, so obviously a hose got crimped. It makes me very nervous to see a gallon of water sitting in the bottom of the dishwasher, inches away from all the brand new hardwood flooring that got installed as a result of the flood in April.

Things emerged from storage pretty much unscathed. My KitchenAid mixmaster obviously spent some time on its side, as its gear oil leaked everywhere, and the one and only Christmas decoration (a large 3-wick candle holder) I've kept over the years came out of a box broken.

We took a much-needed lunch break and got an outdoor table at the Irish Times Pub on Government Street. We've eaten there once before and I knew they had a good Shepherd's Pie on the menu (made with ground lamb). I felt I needed a substantial lunch to get me through the rest of the day.

I knew the movers may need to call us so left my large handbag open and accessible on the chair next to me, so I could get to my Blackberry if it rang. I got this handbag about a month ago - creamy beige DKNY bag large enough for all the crap I tote around, including my daytimer and files/papers when I see clients. I like and need a roomy bag.

Our young server arrived with our food. While putting my husband's salad down in front of him, she lost control of the two hot dishes balanced in her other hand. In s-l-o-w m-o-t-i-o-n I watched this huge dish of rather soupy Shepherd's Pie slide through the air to empty itself entirely into my open handbag! Not a speck went anywhere except into the interior of my handbag with its cream coloured satin lining. Of course the bulk of it hit on the inside pocket where I keep my Blackberry (in a case, luckily). It looked like someone had puked into my purse.

The server seemed shocked and paralyzed. I first grabbed my Blackberry out of the mess and and started mopping it off with my one paper napkin. As she continued to stand there staring I said "Uh, do you think you could get me some towels to clean this mess up?" and off she went.

I emptied my bag and started to de-crud everything with the towels that materialized. My Blackberry still worked - whew. The manager took my bag away to dab at the lining with soda water, which did nothing. She told me to get it cleaned and, if damage remained, to let her know and we can "talk". The lining of my bag now gleamed with orange-coloured grease stains and smelled like mutton.

They brought me another Shepherd's Pie, but it was completely unappetizing to me. I could only manage a couple of bites as the image of that mess in my purse killed any appetite I'd had. When they took our plates away they assured us there would be no charge for anything, but I certainly felt I had paid a steep price to visit their establishment.

We got home after lunch and between scrubbing and soaking with Tide and OxyClean, I got most of the stains out, but it still smelled like stew - yuck. I stuffed Bounce dryer sheets into my bag and left it to air out on the deck overnight. John claims it doesn't smell anymore, but I can still detect a slight scent.

We came up to the cottage yesterday and my favourite dog, Lou, the black lab, confirmed that the aroma lingers. I took my Blackberry out of my bag and had it in my hand, and Lou came right over and licked it!

Todo bien. (It's all good).

No comments:

Post a Comment