Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Long and Winding Repair Job

We supposedly move back into our condo tomorrow, after four months of sewer back-up flood repairs. Final repairs and cleaning are still taking place even as I type this, and the kitchen cabinets and drawer fronts are still off being painted (hopefully they will all match this try) and will need to be reinstalled.

They never could get the dishwasher installed the way it was originally, even after four attempts. So, I am stuck with seeing the black base as they can't shove it back far enough to allow for painted baseboard and quarter round to be placed across the front - the way it was before. I don't know what changed in the physical universe of my kitchen that this has turned out to be such an impossible task, to put it back the way it was.

The fridge has also turned into Rubik's Cube, with multiple efforts failing to get it set into the cabinetry so it is square, level, not jiggly on its base, and so that the door opens and closes properly. Everthing is askew and no amount of professional effort seems capable of putting it right. Boggles my mind.

I've been carefully watching my diet for the past two months - no refined carbs and zero alcohol. But the stress of the final stretch of condo repairs, and tomorrow's prospect of moving back in, is taking its toll - I ate half a cinnamon bun at breakfast and then had beef dip (with salad, no fries!) for lunch.

So, I have fallen off the no-refined-carb wagon and now find my mind is continuously showing me luscious images of red wine. I feel bad enough about the 1/2 cinnamon bun and beef dip roll (I only ate 2/3's of that) - I just can't cave into a "Resveratrol" craving now! But the temptation to just take the edge off with a nice, big glass of pinot noir or tempranillo is very alluring.



One nice thing happened - we were packing up our hotel suite in preparation for the move home tomorrow, and the three ladies on the housekeeping staff told us they liked us and will miss us! I will certainly miss the clean towels and having my bed made daily. But, it's really time to go home.

Todo bien. (It's all good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment