Saturday, August 28, 2010

Summer Gems

These little summer gems caused me to do something bad...I ate blackberry shortcake with whipped cream last night. Shortcake was all John's idea, but it was my lack of willpower that led me to chow down on more sugar than I've had in well over two months.

I picked these blackberries up the road from our cottage. There weren't a lot of them and I had to do battle with hungry wasps competing for these juicy tidbits.

I carefully rinsed the road dust from my hard-won treasures and proudly announced to John "They're totally organic!" I think he took that as a challenge to make them less healthy, hence the trip to town (by boat) for the mini short cakes and whipping cream that created my downfall.

I don't have a scale at the cottage, but I can just feel my body has taken hold of those refined shortcake carbs and is not going to let go easily. I would have been better off, and happier, eating just the berries with a spoonful of whipped cream. The supermarket shortcake was just not worth it. A good reminder, really, that I am not missing much by skipping refined carbs.

I must have suspected the shortcake would leave a hollow feeling. While at the grocery store, I grabbed a bar of 85% cacao dark chocolate...for the next time temptation decides to visit. Chocolate never disappoints!

Todo bien. (It's all good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment