Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Hair God and Tapas del Mundo

I spent yesterday afternoon at "Fer's Salon" located on Calle Agustin Melgar, getting a full head of highlights and a cut by Fernando (I think of him as the "Hair God"). I can't believe this salon is just around the corner and down the street from our condo - this fellow is amazingly talented. Everyone walks out of there looking absolutely great, which convinced me to give him a try last year. All I had last year was a haircut, but it was the best cut I've ever had. And even with a 20% tip it still only cost me $15.00! Unbelievable.

Two different hairdressers back in Canada could not replicate the cut throughout 2010. I was so frustrated - I had pictures and described what Fernando had done and what I wanted, but they could not reproduce it for me (even at $80.00 a pop including tip). So, I suffered until I could get back to Bucerias and get an appointment with Fernando. But, in the interim, I had serious fantasies of spotting a cheap flight to Mexico and coming down just for the weekend to get a haircut. Yes, he's that good.

So, I made my appointment and finally saw Fernando yesterday, for two tones of blonde highlights to cover my dishwater brown/grey roots, and a cut ("layered bob"). He speaks enough English to discuss your colour/cut preferences, and then you just have to sit back and let him work his magic. It takes a little bit of faith, as he does interpret what you want and adds his own ideas.

The two tones of blonde he chose for me were "caramel and gold" (mmmm, two of my favourite things!!) and he gave me quite a bit shorter cut than I had been imagining, but I think it works.




I had John takes 360 degree photos when I got home so I can show them to future hairdressers in Canada in the vain hope that someone will be able to style my hair the same way. Now for the best part, with a 25% tip, the colour highlights and cut cost me all of $80.00! At home, I pay three times that much - and still don't get the cut I want. It almost makes economic sense to fly down for the service!

Anway, as I saved so much money at the salon, we went out to "Tapas del Mundo" for dinner.




The chef/owner interacts a lot with the diners - his signature thing is basically to hurl abuse at his patrons (the restaurant's tag line is "No Crybabies"!). We like it, but you really have to be in the mood for it (and we were).

Todo bien. (It's all good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment