Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thank you Timothy Ferriss

I recently read "The 4-Hour Body" by Timothy Ferriss. I was inspired to follow his "Slow Carb Diet" (a lot like Atkins, The Zone or South Beach diets, except he really emphasizes beans and legumes, and allows one "cheat day" per week), as well as incorporated a few of his recommended exercises into my workout regime (which is cardio, weights and stretching).

Eliminating refined carbs (a.k.a. "anything white") from my diet does not work nearly as well for me in menopause as it did in the past. My metabolism is just different (slower) and doesn't respond as quickly as it once did. Still, that's no reason not to try, and I know reducing/eliminating highly refined foods is the smart thing to do for many reasons.

Tim is efficiency-crazy - he only wants to do something to the level it ideally works and no more - this is called the "MED", or Minimal Effective Dose. He has identified a handful of exercises that make the biggest difference, and I have been trying a few. I can report they are working. My abodmen, especially, is greatly improved in tone since adding just some of Tim's recommendations, specifically:

- hip flexor extensions
- the pelvic "bridge"
- air squats

(His book has photos to demonstrate these moves, and his website also covers much of this apparently. I did a quick search to see if I could provide a link, but he has a huge web footprint and I could not quickly see which site covered the detailed exercises; so, if you are interested, get the book or spend more time on the web than I am prepared to do for the sake of including a link to click!).

Anyway, these are definitely MED exercises for flatter abs - not much time or effort for quick and noticeable results. I'm happy and motivated.

Todo bien. (It's all good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment